Feb 20, 2008

Samsonite!! I Was Way Off...

Two days and counting, kids...posts may be sporadic for the next couple weeks. I'll try to post from the road, but I can't be sure. One thing is certain--within 2 weeks I'll be posting from sunshiney CA. Yummy! Until then, hopefully this will suffice...

Remember on Dumb & Dumber where Lloyd spikes Harry's drink with Turbo-Lax, and then Harry goes to pick up Mary, and then the stuff kicks in and he has one of the most spectacular movie-poops ever? I really think it's some of Jeff Daniels's finest work. I still laugh every time I see it--but then I'm a sucker for the potty humor.

But did the side view of Harry's waist-to-knee region ever strike you as strange? I never thought about it until today. I attended a conference at a small church in New Hampshire about church, and Jesus, and reaching people, and all that. Mr. & Mrs. T were there, along with a couple other folks from our church, and we all sat together and made snide remarks...it was nice.


Being a small church, it had small bathrooms--the one-person types. The women's had some lovely butterfly stenciling on the walls, along with some sponging work, which was OK but not as pretty as the stencils. The lotion was covered by a velvet drawstring bag (how discreet). And to aid in the post-potty grooming and primping, a full-length mirror hung on the door.

The only drawback to the whole setup was the orientation of the toilet, which was sideways to the door, and consequently the mirror. The full-length mirror. The unfortunate result of this was that one got a full-length sideview of oneself in the sitting posture. Leg and buttock, uninterrupted. One could try to avoid looking at the mirror, but peripheral vision made the effort fairly difficult.

I've decided that it is an awkward thing to observe oneself in the sitting posture. Doubly-so, actually, because not only does one feel like (s)he is being watched while taking care of the necessary business (which, contrary to the ancient Romans, who conducted all sorts of business while on the communal cans, feels very strange to most of us), one also feels rather voyeuristic because (s)he is watching while the necessary business is being taken care of. And that is a very unpleasant feeling, indeed...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that the toilet scene might have been Jeff Daniels finest work, which made his later work portraying Gen George Washington on a History Channel special (I think) very difficult to view... I kept seeing Gen Washington as Harry from Dumb and Dumber, or worse as Harry from Dumb and Dumber dropping a big ole Deuce in the can while shaking violently. I still think very highly of Gen... err President Washington. It's just so tough to see Jeff Daniels as Gen Washington, even though he did such a great job. I can see why actors might shy away from work which might type cast them. Think Mark Paul Gosselaar and Mario Lopez... who could ever picture them as anything but Zack Morris and A.C. Slater, or Dustin Diamond as anything but Screech? I can name more, but those are the ones that come to mind first. Bottomline, one must think long and hard before they go dropping spectacular deuces for a camera... It can fowls one's perception of you.

Jenn said...

You made me laugh at Turbo-Lax.

Seriously, though? Full length. Who wants to see their own peeing face, or pooping face for that matter? This was not meant to be.