Feb 24, 2018

Springtime, But Not Really, and More Podcasts...

Today (Wednesday) in beautiful Massachusetts we are hitting 74 degrees. Everyone is out in their short pants, enjoying the sunshine and pretending it is actually springtime while we have it, because we are due for 1-3 inches of snow tomorrow.

That is what everyone is talking about here, but I want to tell you about the things I'm digging lately, mostly in the form of podcasts.

Podcasts are some of my favorite things, following closely behind sleeping and eating. I listen to them mostly while I do the more menial meditative chores and when I'm driving, but if there's a lull in the noise around me I am known to pop in my earbuds and continue with my day.

**side rant: did you know that the little white bar thingy on the standard Apple earbud cord, in addition to adjusting volume, can also pause/unpause whatever you're playing? You just give it a little squeeze in the middle. I had no idea before Kendra mentioned it in passing on a Simple Show episode (113--Use Your Earbuds). Achievement: Unlocked. End side rant.**

I posted a while back about my favorite podcasts, when I was first getting into them, but I thought it about time to go back and update you on what has changed and what is the same. I started a comprehensive list, but then I started to go cross-eyed at the commentary (yes, my commentary), and thought maybe a simple list and some brief remarks about our current faves would be better--


Family/Kid-Friendly:

--Eleanor Amplified: This one is family friendly and purports to be kid-focused, but boy is it smart and quick in the dialogue. They're two seasons in, and you have a few months to catch up before they launch Season 3.

--SugarCrash Kids: No longer making new episodes that we can tell, but the 3 existing seasons are great for repeat listening.

--Wow In the World: Kid-friendly, heavy on imagination and science.


Grown-Ups Oriented:

--The Lazy Genius Podcast: On making a home and being awesome.

--Launch: This dude wrote a novel and chronicled the process.

--The Next Right Thing: I just started this one. Faith-based, focusing on making space in one's soul. My soul could use a little space right now, so this one's timely.

--NPR Politics Podcast: I know, I know, politics. But I like it, and it makes me a little smarter about the goings-on in DC.

--The Popcast: Dear heavens, every week.

--The Simple Show: Evolving topics over time. I like that.

--Slow Burn: A podcast about Watergate. Really good.

--Storybrand: I have no explanation as to why I listen to an entrepreneurial-focused podcast, but if I ever decide to start a business someday I will be SO prepared to clarify my message.

--Women's Work: A spinoff project from Tsh Oxenreider (The Simple Show), about the good and creative work done by all sorts of women around the world. Pretty cool.


Stuff I'm Waiting For:

Invisibilia: I just got an update that they're launching Season 4. While nothing has yet compared to Season 1, I'm still incredibly happy about that.

Revisionist History: Malcolm Gladwell and his masterful storytelling. My biggest complaint is the chewing noises in his Blue Apron ads for Season 2. Stop it, Malcolm.


Stuff I Haven't Gotten To Yet (but want to try):

Pantsuit Politics: Two women, a conservative and a liberal.



All that said, this is not all of the 'casts I listen to. There are THOUSANDS of podcasts on any topic you can think of, so if you like learning or just listening, you should go now and find some awesome shows to listen to. And if you have favorites, put them in the comments!







2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'm still a primarily NPR-only podcast junkie... I love Politics. And It's Been a Minute. And Codeswitch. And Planet Money. And TED Radio Hour. And This American Life. And Serial. ; ) I didn't get into Invisibility the first time I listened, but maybe will give it another try.

Victoria said...

My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.