Nov 6, 2016

A Little Extra Autumn Slumber...

I had a moment today, driving to church and noticing the morning. We had rain overnight, and the sun was peeking its way through the clearing clouds, lighting up the leaves (or at least what is left of them).  I was struck by the beauty of it, remembering how green and full the trees and bushes were just several weeks ago, and knowing how stark and bare and brown they soon will be.

I love the seasons for precisely this. These moments where I'm awake and alert to the beauty, and I'm thankful to be amidst it...but having experienced enough seasons to know that every moment won't be that way; that even perhaps very few moments will feel that way. But also knowing that they will be there again, eventually.

Then driving into church (which meets in a school) I saw folks parking the equipment trailer, carrying things inside to set up for the morning, working together. I was struck by the beauty of being part of a group. A year now we've been at this church. We are putting down roots and feeling stronger and stable among them. I couldn't believe my good fortune to be in this place, in this season, and with these friends.

I thought to myself "What on earth has come over me? Are Jesus and I having a moment here?"

I mean, maybe we were having a moment, Jesus and I. I try to notice small gifts like these, to practice gratitude and whatnot. But the thought that crossed my mind shortly thereafter was remembering that this morning was my favorite of the year, and what that meant: it was the morning that Daylight Saving Time goes dormant until the spring and we set the clocks back an hour, recovering the time we lost in the spring. This year I had the incredible fortune of children who slept in and I actually got my extra hour of sleep. A little sleep goes a long way toward a positive mood and outlook.

I feel like I should have some sort of deeper truth behind this, something more profound than "Hey everyone, I got some extra sleep and appreciated the beauty of nature this morning. You should try that sometime." But I decided I don't really care all that much whether it was a Word from the Lord or the extra zzz's; after all, reality was probably some combination of all factors involved. And the truth is, there are gifted people out there who find wonderful and unique ways to express things, but in the end I think we are all humans experiencing what humans have experienced for years now. Not much is new under that beautiful autumn sun.

But really, you should've seen those leaves...

2 comments:

churchandstates said...

Nice moment...and it was sure a pretty day in Indiana, Illinois (and even Missouri).

Victoria said...

My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.