Nov 7, 2008

Dangerous Grace...

I felt the need to link to this post over at TrueFaced, written by the teaching pastor at my home church in AZ. It really struck a chord with me. If you are searching for God or wondering about God, or even if you already know God, it's entirely possible that it will give you an entirely new perspective. Some excerpts--but be careful; God's grace is dangerous (picture Val Kilmer clicking his teeth here)...

“Therefore now there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus.”

“I have been crucified with Christ and it no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and delivered Himself up for me.”

“I want to be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith.”

“For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law, but under grace.”

“We are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh.”

“You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus."


"...Every now and then someone believes such verses and doesn’t try to balance them with other verses that seem to say the opposite. Instead they look at all confusing verses through the grid of the plain and clear revealed love, grace, delight and sovereign power of God for us. And they find themselves risking to stand against all the methodology, technique and impressive sounding hype of disciplined self-effort. Instead they trust Christ to live and release His power through them. It is scary. It feels like you’re giving up the store. But soon they put their full weight upon God’s ability to mature them. These are the ones who get to live free, free the captives, restore families, and experience the tender intimacy of a God who is not disgusted. They get to turn the world upside down..."

Pretty crazy. It's the kind of stuff that'll mess with your world. It has certainly messed with mine, & I've never gone back...

Click here to read the whole thing.

**Update--If you have trouble with the links go directly to http://www.truefaced.com/blog and pull up the Nov 6, 2008 entry.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to read more, but the links don't work. Can you recheck them please?

Skerrib said...

Prochaskas--Rats!! They're working OK for me, so I posted the address to click or cut & paste. Hope that helps...

Anonymous said...

Thanks -- there must have been something wrong the day I was trying the links -- I got messages saying the blog didn't exist. It works now, though!

Ben Williams said...

"in certain crowds “Grace only” will get me on someone’s prayer list so I can become right with God again"

That is a great line! And I understand it all too well- I have a great bunch of people that are pursuing grace along with me, and we encourage one another all the time. But in some places, primarily my 'church', I speak with caution- and am not surprised when it's not received well.